Google Ads Keyword Match Types
These are of five types:
- Broad Match
- Broad Match Modifier
- Phrase Match
- Exact Match
- Negative Match
1. Broad Match: Broad match allows your ad to show on similar phrases and close variations of the keyword. Close variations include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, abbreviations, and accents.
Broad match: laptop computers
May show for: computers, desktop computers, Sony computer reviews
2. Broad Match Modifier: It starts with the ‘+’ sign and indicates the search exactly or close variant.
Broad match modifier: +laptop +computers
May show for: laptop computer reviews, laptop computer manual
3. Phrase Match: Phrase match keywords domes with quotes. it must contain all the words (or close variants) in the keyword in the same order without any words in between.
Phrase match modifier: “laptop computers”
May show for: buy laptop computers, laptop computers for sale
4. Exact Match: It involves that the search term exactly match the keywords will trigger your ad. Putting the keyword in brackets sets exact match keywords.
Exact match: [laptop computers]
Only show for: laptop computers
5. Negative Match: A negative phrase-match keyword allows you to exclude your ad for searches with those keywords. It includes ’-‘ (minus) sign before the keyword.
Negative match keywords are of further three types:
- Negative Phrase Match: Your ad won't show if the search contains the exact keyword terms in the same order.
- Negative exact Match: Your ad won't show if the search contains the exact keyword terms, in the same order, without extra words
- Negative Broad Match: Your ad won't show if the search contains all your negative keyword terms, even if the terms are in a different order.